Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Spillane and misogyny

From: Al Guthrie ( allanguthrie@ukonline.co.uk)
Date: 12 Jul 2006

My problem with this argument, Miker, is that the vox populi doesn't determine what gets published. Editors do. And they don't take votes. So I fail to see how that's democratic. For instance, when Barry Gifford reintroduced Thompson and Goodis to the world via his Black Lizard press, he did so because he liked Thompson and Goodis, not because the populi were raising their collective vox.

That's not taking into account financial considerations. Sometimes writers (or writers' estates) who deserve to be reprinted can't agree terms with publishers, so negotiations grind to a halt. How does that fit in with the vox populi? That's more a case of the vox accountanti. Ditto with tracking down estates. Sometimes it's too expensive and/or time-consuming.

And what about the single voice, the vox populus? J K Rowling, for instance. I remember Dodi Smith's I CAPTURE THE CASTLE going into several new editions after JK said it was her favourite book as a child.

Al