Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Spillane and misogyny

From: Al Guthrie ( allanguthrie@ukonline.co.uk)
Date: 11 Jul 2006

Miracle of the Bells, Lydia Bailey and Kingsblood Royal are in print in the US.

It'd be interesting to have this discussion 50 years from now. With POD technology being used by more and more publishers to keep their backlists in print, almost all books are likely to remain in print indefinitely.

Al

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bill Crider" < macavityabc@gmail.com> To: < rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Tuesday, July 11, 2006 5:41 PM Subject: Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Spillane and misogyny

> Jim made a point that aroused my curiosity: "There are any number of
> novels that made various best-seller list in 1947, the year I THE JURY was
> first published. I dare say few of them are still read today."

I had a look, and here's one list of the best-selling novels of 1947:
*1947-Fiction
*The Miracle of the Bells - Russell Janney The Moneyman - Thomas Costain Gentleman's Agreement - Laura Z Hobson Lydia Bailey - Kenneth Roberts The Vixens - Frank Yerby (LP also) The Wayward Bus - John Steinbeck Kingsblood Royal - Sinclair Lewis East Side, West Side - Marcia Davenport Prince of Foxes - Samuel Shellabarger

I've read two of these (long ago) and seen movies based on a couple. I doubt that any of them would still be in print except maybe Hobson's book.

Bill Crider

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> See what's inside the new Yahoo! Groups email. http://us.click.yahoo.com/2pRQfA/bOaOAA/yQLSAA/kqIolB/TM