Re: RARA-AVIS: Charles Williams' The Diamond Binkini

From: Ed Lynskey ( e_lynskey@yahoo.com)
Date: 08 Jul 2006

--- Michael Robison < miker_zspider@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Ed Lynskey wrote:
>
> Charles Williams' THE DIAMOND BIKINI has been
> discussed on the list before and I finished it.

> It sounds good. Funny and bawdy I'm sure. Tobacco
> Road was that way too, but underneath there was a
> darkness as dark as any noir. I felt the same way
> about Hammett's Thin Man.

Right, miker. Good comparison to Erskine Caldwell for the hardscrabble humor. I actually had in mind TR and GOD'S LITTLE ACRE while reading DIAMOND BIKINI. I think I read another E. Caldwell title called GEORGIA BOY. I don't recall Charles Williams using a lot of humor in his sea/land noirs. Too bad. He has a wonderful sense of the comedic. Low-keyed, bawdy humor but not too cornpone or slapstick, IMO. I actually laughed out loud in some scenes at the end of TDB. Only Charles Willeford and Harry Crews have done the same. (I've read all of Mr. Crews's books but not Charles Williams or Charles Willeford.)

Ed