Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Women who are men

From: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net
Date: 07 Jul 2006

Jim,

Guess it's only fair, since I recently mistook your comments for Bill's, but Channing wrote the posting you're responding to (though I have posted comments in general agreement with most of these points).

However, let me respond to one thing:

"And Hammer's enjoyment of killing ALWAYS comes from the fact that he's dealing out deserved punishment to killers, not from homophobia."

It can't be both? I don't remember enough specifics of Vengeance Is Mine to comment on it in particular, but while Hammer may "ALWAYS" be meting out "deserved punishment," that doesn't mean it's ALL he's doing. Of course, it's here that Spillane and Hammer become blurred. If the author consistently makes the killer a woman (or pseudo-woman) of a certain type, then the hero is killing both the killer AND a certain type of woman. The two evils become one.

Mark