Re: RARA-AVIS: 1974

From: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net
Date: 06 Jul 2006

Although I liked it better than miker, I was also disappointed when I read 1974. It seemed terribly unfocused, just a lot of driving around, so much that I often lost track of plot and had to check back to remember who someone was. I was increasingly skeptical of the reporter's ability to labor on with no sleep, much less the torture. Also, the "British Ellroy" style seemed terribly affected. Very few specifics of the book have stuck with me.

Still, there was something there that I found interesting enough to buy the second. I hoped that some of the problems were first novel issues that would be worked out in the context of the quartet. Of course, it's now been so long since I read 1974 that I'd have to read to again before starting on 1977.

Mark

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Check out the new improvements in Yahoo! Groups email. http://us.click.yahoo.com/6pRQfA/fOaOAA/yQLSAA/kqIolB/TM