Re: RARA-AVIS: Spillane and misogyny

From: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net
Date: 06 Jul 2006

miker wrote:

"I'm unconvinced of the misogyny angle as you state it. He shoots plenty of guys to, and he's just as vocal about hating them. Misogyny to me implies targeting women specifically."

Let me first say that it's been a long, long time since I've read any Spillane, and I only ever read a few, so my conclusions may be more based on spotty memory than what is actually on the pages. However, I seem to remember that the investigations are more often of murders that affect Hammer personally, not as a paid investigator. In addition, I seem to remember that the ultimate killer always turns out to be a woman. And not just any woman, but the woman Hammer had put on a pedestal, the one pure madonna in contrast to all the whores he slept with. So it is this woman who personally betrayed Hammer, both as the killer of a friend and as the woman he connected with on more than a physical level, so he holds a special hatred of her and takes special glee in killing her. He kills men in a more business-like way, hates them for their "job," what they represent as criminals and/or commies, not because they personally betrayed him.

But as I said, it's been a long time since I've read him, so my memories may be way off.

Mark