RARA-AVIS: Who don't you like?

From: Bludis Jack ( buildsnburns@yahoo.com)
Date: 03 Jul 2006

I hate to list 'em because I've said it so many times:

James Elroy . . . writes too choppy, loaded down with scenes and characters that I think add nothing to story or theme.

Ross Mcdonald . . . always stetching for the figure of speech. Sometimes I stop and think, What the hell does that mean?

Mickey Spillane . . . although hardboiled history absolutely requires we remember him, his characters and plots are comic-book like. (OK, some of you like graphic novels. I can't get into them. I didn't even like the movie *Sin City*)

The Lawrence Block paperback noirs . . . Block is better with reoccuring characters I think.

Although I think most of Chandlers novels are great, I don't like either his or Hammett's Black Mask stuff. Too much violence for the sake of violence. I also say that I don't get this great love of *The Little Sister.* I thought the book was shamelessly padded.

In closing I want to second what Brian Thorton said:
>> . . . I am only talking about whether or not I
liked these writers, not whether or not they're good people, fine human beings, or successful writers. Obviously, taste is relative, and I like stuff that other people with impeccable taste would dislike.<<

Yes, taste is relative to the individual, his background (or hers), and general outlook on life. Sometimes, it's relative to our age or the times.

At one time, I thought of John D. MacDonald as one of the big three. In rereading him recently, I was disappointed. Although his books were totally in vogue and apropriate to the 50s and 60s, his work has aged poorly. But I still think
*A Key to the Suite* is one hell of a good novel.
(Not part of any series I know about.)

Jack Bludis

http://www.jackbludis.com Shamus nominee for "Shadow of the Dahlia" Amazon.com / BN.com / MysteryLovesCompany.com

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> See what's inside the new Yahoo! Groups email. http://us.click.yahoo.com/2pRQfA/bOaOAA/yQLSAA/kqIolB/TM