Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Who don't you like?

From: Brian Thornton ( tieresias@worldnet.att.net)
Date: 02 Jul 2006

So Jeff, since you didn't address it, does that mean that you accept my assertion that "The Long Goodbye"(1954) is superior work to "Playback"? Also, I never said "Farewell My Lovely" was stronger than "The Lady in the Lake." I said it was stronger than "The High Window." I would also submit that it's better than "Playback." In fact, for my money, all of Chandler's previous works are superior to "Playback."

All of this sort of flies in the face of your statement that his work only got better over time. I think he had peaks and valleys, like any other writer. "Big Sleep" was pretty good. "Farewell, My Lovely" was good, too. "The High Window" was a valley (at least for me). "The Lady in the Lake" was brilliant, likewise, "The Little Sister." I think "The Long Goodbye" is positively elegaic at times, and "Playback" is another valley, signaling a decline brought on by stress, his wife's death, alcoholism, and failing health.

All the Best-

Brian