RARA-AVIS: Backwoods

From: Michael Robison ( miker_zspider@yahoo.com)
Date: 30 Jun 2006

Bill Crider wrote:

I once (long ago) wrote the semi-definitive article on backwoods novels for THE JOURNAL OF POPULAR CULTURE. I love 'em.

************ Me too. In this semi-definitive article, did Tobacco Road get any mention? I guess it would be hard to say it was the first, but it's definitely a landmark. The best I've read of Woodrell, Give Us a Kiss, fits. Dickey's brilliant Deliverance is excellent. I don't know if Charles Williams's River Girl is backwoods, but it's got that feel, and it's wonderful. I've got an old copy of one of William Faulkner's brothers bawdy backswood's novels, but I have yet to read it. Hell. Even Faulkner himself wrote backwoods. Maybe not Sanctuary or Light In August so much, definitely As I Lay Dying. And last but not least, there's Cormac McCarthy's Tennessee novels. Child of God is pretty backwoodsy, and even Suttree's got that feel, even though it revolves around a town.

miker

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Great things are happening at Yahoo! Groups. See the new email design. http://us.click.yahoo.com/TISQkA/hOaOAA/yQLSAA/kqIolB/TM