Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Who don't you like?

From: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net
Date: 29 Jun 2006

"I've also given Westlake and Pronzini a few tries because I know how esteemed they are to many on RA, but with no success."

Just out of curiosity, under which name did you try Westlake? The early Richard Starks are right near the top of my all time list (the newer ones, while I like them enough to buy them in hardback, something I very rarely do, don't come anywhere close). I liked the Tucker Coes when I read them way back when. However, I just cannot get into the Dortmunder books under his own name. I've read and enjoyed a couple of his standalones under that name, but haven't felt compelled to read more, although I have several. Part of this, I think, is that while I enjoy humor in my hardboiled (for me, Ross Thomas was the master of this), I'm not big on comedy mysteries. At least not for very long. For instance, I read and enjoyed Hiassen's first few solo works, but just lost inerest in continuing to follow him.

As for Pronzini, I tracked down every Nameless book I could after getting into him, but have never read any other books he's written, although I've had the well regarded Blue Lonesome on my shelf for years.

Mark

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Yahoo! Groups gets a make over. See the new email design. http://us.click.yahoo.com/XISQkA/lOaOAA/yQLSAA/kqIolB/TM