RARA-AVIS: Re: Who don't you like?

From: cptpipes2000 ( cptpipes@hotmail.com)
Date: 29 Jun 2006

Bill stirred the pot by asking:
> Speak up if you have a long-simmering dislike of a well-respected
> author and you want to get it off your chest.

Two of my absolute favorites are Pelecanos and Sallis. I couldn't get into either their books on my first tries reading them, probably because I jumped in mid-series. I'm glad that I tried again, as I'll pick up anything by them now, no questions asked.

Whenever an author clicks like that for me, I want to read everything he/she's written in as short a time as possible. There are a few writers that I want to like--and they seem like the types that I would and should like--but, for whatever reason, just haven't clicked with me. Yet, I hope.

Ian Rankin - I love a good series and the Rankin series seems right down my alley. I just can never finish these.

Peter Blauner - His books seem like the type I would devour. For some reason, I don't.

Jame Lee Burke - Whenever I'm reading a Robicheaux books, I like it just fine. But, unlike my favorite series, when I finish it I don't think "I have to read the rest as soon as possible." I'm content to just pick them up here and there when nothing else grabs me.

I've also given Westlake and Pronzini a few tries because I know how esteemed they are to many on RA, but with no success.

I'll think of a few others, I'm sure. This feels like confession.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Something is new at Yahoo! Groups. Check out the enhanced email design. http://us.click.yahoo.com/SISQkA/gOaOAA/yQLSAA/kqIolB/TM