RE: RARA-AVIS: "The definitive Gold Medal paperback original"

From: GERLACH, Steve ( steve.gerlach@sma.com.au)
Date: 29 Jun 2006

Sooooooo, how do we get HCC to reprint it???

**hint** **hint**

SG

  _____

From: Jeff Vorzimmer [mailto: jvorzimmer@austin.rr.com] Sent: Thursday, 29 June 2006 2:22 PM To: rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com Subject: Re: RARA-AVIS: "The definitive Gold Medal paperback original"

> What specifically makes _Black Wings Has My Angel _ exemplary (of the
> Gold Medal crime novel)? The hardscrabble or downscale setting?
yes

> The working class or underclass characters?
yes

> Their desperation to survive rather than to solidify status?
yes

> The novel's implict criticism of an economic and social system that
> condemns people without middle class education and manners to insularity,
> racism, a need to repond to obstacles with violence?
yes

> The nature of the crimes committed?
yes

> The undertone of sexual repression and the untimate liberation of sexual
> desire from that repression?
yes

> The power of the femme fatale?
yes--for me, one of the most important elements of the quintessential Gold Medal. BLack Wings and Touch of Death exemplify this the best.

You forget one element, though. Lot's of whisky--rye or bourbon. Oh, and cigarettes.

Goodis always has some of these elements, as does Thompson, but it's a rare book that has all these elements.

Jeff

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Check out the new improvements in Yahoo! Groups email. http://us.click.yahoo.com/6pRQfA/fOaOAA/yQLSAA/kqIolB/TM