Re: RARA-AVIS: Recent reading

From: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net
Date: 27 Jun 2006

Bill,

I was a bit disappointed when I first read White Arrest, too. And I remembered so little of it, I had to reread it when the second in the trilogy came out. It worked a lot better in conjunction with that, even better as part of the trilogy.

Although the plot is wrapped up in each of the three, all three are needed to really get to know the characters, and the characters are what these books are really all about. As you note, these police novels are short on procedure -- when a crime is solved (whether or not the investigators ever ifnd out about it), it's more often by chance than by investigation.

Although it wasn't that early a book of Bruen's (he'd already written several, including three crime novels), it is the first to employ his now trademark clipped style. It takes reading all three of the trilogy for the substance to catch up with the style, but it does.

Mark

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Something is new at Yahoo! Groups. Check out the enhanced email design. http://us.click.yahoo.com/SISQkA/gOaOAA/yQLSAA/kqIolB/TM