Re: RARA-AVIS: Black Wings Has My Angel

From: James Reasoner ( james53@flash.net)
Date: 27 Jun 2006

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ed Lynskey" < e_lynskey@yahoo.com> To: < rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Tuesday, June 27, 2006 10:04 AM Subject: Re: RARA-AVIS: Black Wings Has My Angel

> I read Web of Murder recently and concur. A question comes to
> mind re: the availability/distribution of Gold Medals. So many
> GMs were sold. So, could you walk into any drugstore, service
> station, or cash-and-carry and pick up one? Were Gold Medals
> only sold through certain chain stores? Did bookstores carry
> Gold Medals?
>
> Ed

When I first started buying paperbacks in the early Sixties, drugstores and grocery stores were my main sources of books. All the stores like that around here had a spinner rack of paperbacks, including Gold Medals. The big department stores usually had book sections with a good supply of paperbacks. (I even worked in a department store book section for a while in the mid-Seventies.) Some stores must have had a deal with a particular publisher, because they carried only books from that publisher. I remember one that had only Bantam Books, another that had only Dell and Pocket Books.

Most of the Gold Medals I bought new came from a drugstore close to where I lived.

James Reasoner

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Yahoo! Groups gets a make over. See the new email design. http://us.click.yahoo.com/XISQkA/lOaOAA/yQLSAA/kqIolB/TM