RARA-AVIS: David Goodis house for sale

From: Aaron Finestone ( babaganouj@mac.com)
Date: 23 Jun 2006

The former home of Philadelphia noir writer David Goodis is for sale. The house is located at 6301 North 11th Street in the East Oak Lane section of Philadelphia. The house is listed by Graham-Cummings Real Estate, 215-424-8411, cummfran45@msn.com. The asking price is $260,000.

On June 21, the real estate broker, Frank Cummings conducted a tour of the house for Louis Boxer, my wife and I. It is a small and gracious stone single home with a large back yard in a neighborhood of single homes, most of which date from the 1920's. The basement is paneled in knotty-pine (real wood, not composition board). There is a bar in the basement. The first floor living room has a fire place. I opened a bin at the foot of the stairs and found a copy of "Shoot the Piano Player" on top of a pile of books. The owners had good taste. There is a small dining room and a kitchen. Leading to the second floor is a secret stairway from the kitchen. Regretfully, the stairway was blocked off, to make a closet for the second floor.

The second floor has a master bedroom, a medium size bedroom and a small bedroom. There are two bathrooms on the second floor. One has red-violet and black tile and a red-violet toilet. The other has yellow and black tile. The tiles look like the originals. I believe the small bedroom was David's writing room. At the Temple University Library is a collection of David Goodis materials. Included in this file is an article from the early 1960's about David in the Temple Alumni Review. David is pictured looking at a window with the blinds drawn. The window in the smaller bedroom matches the picture. I opened the closet in David's room. I imagined what mysteries had been stored there. The house has an attic. The front porch is surrounded by high hedges. The present owners took good care of the house. Except for the copy of "Shoot the Piano Player," we found no trace of the Goodis family.

As I toured the house, I expected to run into Dr. Walter S. Coley, the disbarred plastic surgeon who gave a new face to Vincent Parry in Dark Passage.

Aaron Finestone babaganouj@mac.com Read my blog, Visit my Navy and Israel photowebsites http://www.microbrewjournalism.com/

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> See what's inside the new Yahoo! Groups email. http://us.click.yahoo.com/2pRQfA/bOaOAA/yQLSAA/kqIolB/TM