Re: RARA-AVIS: letting time sort it out

From: Al Guthrie ( allanguthrie@ukonline.co.uk)
Date: 22 Jun 2006

I'm confused by this 'timeless' definition of literature. I have some questions.

Are some books 'literature' in the UK and not in the US because they're out of print in one country and not in the other? Is a book considered 'literature' when it's reprinted but not while it's out of print? Since accountants and commissioning editors largely decide what gets into print and what stays in print, does that mean they determine what we call literature? If an author's estate wants a larger advance than an editor is prepared to pay, does the novel which might have been bought cease to be 'literature' on account of the estate holding out for more cash?

Thanks,

Al