RARA-AVIS: Deadwood

From: Karin Montin ( kmontin@sympatico.ca)
Date: 21 Jun 2006

I'm chiming in a little late, but I've just watched the first three episodes. Not being a Western fan, I wasn't in much of a hurry. People here seemed to like it, and I can see why. The characters are very well drawn and the plot seems to be getting more convoluted. The acting is very good (hello Jim Beaver!). A bit of a shock at first, seeing the affable Lovejoy turned into the awful Swearengen (Ian McShane).

There's a ridiculous amount of swearing, but that's okay. Like the Osbournes of 1867.

I've heard the language described as a cross between Shakespeare and Mark Twain. It's great fun playing spot the linguistic anachronism. Was it Shakespeare or Twain who might have said, "I'm at my stupidest when I try to do funny"? Did they used to "do due diligence" back in 1867? Talk about options and issues? "Blow job" is only 20th century slang (according to Partridge). And no one would have said "your fly is down" before the invention of zippers.

Between the characters, plot and language, I'm hooked. Episode 4 will be playing tonight.

I agree with you, Marianne. Bleak House was great, and it was refreshingly grimy in the same way.

Karin

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> See what's inside the new Yahoo! Groups email. http://us.click.yahoo.com/si.u7A/bOaOAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM