Re: RARA-AVIS: letting time sort it out

From: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net
Date: 20 Jun 2006

miker wrote:

"The position of critic is open to anyone who can read, so I wouldn't call it elitism."

In theory, yes, but in practice, don't you think the position of critic is highly institutionalized? I kind of see it as the difference between little and big c church. One refers to any group of people who come together to worship, the other refers to a particular institutionalized form of worship. So, everyone here who expresses an opinion is a critic, but I doubt many of us would be considered such by a general public, at least not for our opinions expressed in this venue alone. I think most would more likely think of someone who is published in the New York Times or is a credentialled scholar.

"Of course, there's plenty of contemporary thought suggesting that making any kind of value judgement at all is elitism."

But wouldn't calling someone else elitist also be a value judgement? My head is starting to hurt.

Mark

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> See what's inside the new Yahoo! Groups email. http://us.click.yahoo.com/si.u7A/bOaOAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM