Re: RARA-AVIS: letting time sort it out

From: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net
Date: 19 Jun 2006

miker wrote:

"No. Not at all. Bloom thinks that a critic's job, at least in part, is identifying that which will become timeless. It is not a disdain for new material."

Offhand, I'd say that just shifts the issue from disdain to elitism.

For the record, though, I was attributing the disdain to the teen whose overheard pronouncements got me thinking about the general attitude that nothing new is any good, that it's not even worth considering until it's withstood the test of time. I don't know enough about Bloom's theories to comment on whether or not he subscribes to that line (which also applies to my above implication of elitism, though from what little I do know about him, he'd probably welcome the label).

Mark

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Something is new at Yahoo! Groups. Check out the enhanced email design. http://us.click.yahoo.com/co.u8A/gOaOAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM