Re: RARA-AVIS: letting time sort it out

From: Kerry J. Schooley ( gsp.schoo@murderoutthere.com)
Date: 19 Jun 2006

At 04:47 PM 19/06/2006 -0400, Mark wrote:

>There are plenty of bands who make
>one great album, plenty of authors who wrote only one good book.

What about my category, the entirely undiscovered classics?

> I'm sure there are
>plenty of people who only read older works, but I wouldn't want to miss
>the thrill of discovering a great new author and following his or her
>career to see if the books get even better.

Good thing too. How can any literature be considered timeless if nobody will be first to read it?

>Do we only consider what noted scholars of literature
>say? If so, much of what we discuss here would be thrown out.

Well, actually...at least the company is good.

But the real problem with the "test of time" theory, for me anyway, is that it presumes an ordered universe where what's good is reliably assured discovery and rediscovery by those most timeless of mystics "they". Doesn't sound very noir, does it?

Thanks for the summary, Mark. There's just no substitute for independent thought.

Best, Kerry

------------------------------------------------------ Literary events Calendar (South Ont.) http://www.lit-electric.com The evil men do lives after them http://www.murderoutthere.com

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Life without art & music? Keep the arts alive today at Network for Good! http://us.click.yahoo.com/9I_uBB/YPaOAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM