RARA-AVIS: What about John D. MacDonald?

From: Bludis Jack ( buildsnburns@yahoo.com)
Date: 15 Jun 2006

There was a time when my favorite crime writers were Raymond Chandler, Dashiell Hammett & JDM. Others, of course argue for Ross MacDonald at the top, but Ross if far down my list.

Within the past few years, I've revisited JDM and Travis McGee and find them not as good as I once thought, too much of the same old Busted Flush and wounded women. I'm talking about Travis McGee here.

As to JDM's standalones, my two favorites are A KEY TO THE SUITE (Not even a crime novel) and his first number one best seller, A FLASH OF GREEN.

JDM had a knack for description-He grabbed me in A KEY TO THE SUITE, which is as much about marital infidelity as anything else, and kept me reading until the end.

A FLASH OF GREEN, about developing wetlands, had what I think is one of the most memorable novel lines I've read, "If any other creature was doing to this planet what man is doing, we would consider it the greatest plague in history or pre-history." (Paraphrased)

Jack Bludis

http://www.jackbludis.com Shamus nominee for "Shadow of the Dahlia" Amazon.com / BN.com / MysteryLovesCompany.com

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Great things are happening at Yahoo! Groups. See the new email design. http://us.click.yahoo.com/TISQkA/hOaOAA/yQLSAA/kqIolB/TM