Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: What about John D. MacDonald?

From: Al Guthrie ( allanguthrie@ukonline.co.uk)
Date: 15 Jun 2006

Soft Touch.

----- Original Message -----
  From: Jeff Vorzimmer
  To: rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Wednesday, June 14, 2006 2:55 PM
  Subject: Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: What about John D. MacDonald?

> As for John D., I have to admit to holding the somewhat heretical
> view that he wasn't, as the kids would say these days, all that. I
> keep reading his books hoping to catch a whiff of whatever it is that
> makes other readers I respect go gaga, but it hasn't happened yet.

  My sentiments about MacDonald as well, but since you've done such a good job
  of plucking gems out of the catalogues of lesser-known authors, I thought
  you might know of a great MacDonald book that really deserves reprinting. If
  not I'll put it to the list.

  Is there a really great MacDonald novel (pre-Travis McGee) that is
  absolutely outstanding? I just picked up two MacDonald books reprinted
  (since 1987) in hardbound. They are The Brass Cupcake and Slam the Big Door.
  They're next on my TBR pile.

  BTW, I'm currently reading Bust and loving it.

  Jeff

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Something is new at Yahoo! Groups. Check out the enhanced email design. http://us.click.yahoo.com/SISQkA/gOaOAA/yQLSAA/kqIolB/TM