Re: RARA-AVIS: Brit-speak

From: Al Guthrie ( allanguthrie@ukonline.co.uk)
Date: 14 Jun 2006

No difference, as far as I'm aware.

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net
  To: rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Tuesday, June 13, 2006 10:53 PM
  Subject: RARA-AVIS: Brit-speak

  I was hoping someone could explain the difference between the verbs "to
  whine" and "to whinge." I've read them both in Brit novels, and I'm
  aware there is a difference. It seems that whining is a more inward
  directed complaint, a kind of "woe is me," whereas whinging seems to be
  more outward directed, kind of like ranting against the world. Both
  seem to annoy nearby listeners, who often tell the whiner or the whinger
  to shut the hell up. Is that even close?

  Mark

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Everything you need is one click away.  Make Yahoo! your home page now. http://us.click.yahoo.com/AHchtC/4FxNAA/yQLSAA/kqIolB/TM