RARA-AVIS: Freezer Burn

From: Jay Gertzman ( jgertzma@earthlink.net)
Date: 13 Jun 2006

I'm sure the Biblical references are there. I am too ignorant to know them, except for those in the story of Adam and Eve sinning in the Garden of Eden:
"Then along came Gidget, dragging shadow, looking like, tasting like some calorie-filled concoction, and he had tasted her, and he had felt as Adam must have felt when he bit into the apple."

"As he entered her he realized he was yet another man consumed by the mystery that destroyed Adam."

"...a dark V of fuzz coating what Eve used to destroy Adam. Apple, hell. Everyone knew what it was Adam wanted .... The shorts were unzipped all the way down and he could see the crease of the best itself."

Gidget is the ultimate femme fatale, maybe the Whore of Babylon. The circus is a kind of Babylon, and as critic Mikita Brottman pointed out in her study of the movie _Freaks_, the carnival is a place where the human body is on display, subject to cheap and inconsequential invasion in the cooch shows (or so the marks, clems, and gilhooies think).

I think the main inspiration for the book might have been _Postman_ and
_Double Indemnity_ (innocence/guilt, betrayal, manipulation, and consequences of bad choices). I like Freezer Burn even better than another circus noir, _Nightmare Alley_.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Get to your groups with one click. Know instantly when new email arrives http://us.click.yahoo.com/.7bhrC/MGxNAA/yQLSAA/kqIolB/TM