RARA-AVIS: I Was Dora Suarez

From: Michael Robison ( miker_zspider@yahoo.com)
Date: 11 Jun 2006

Karin Montin wrote:

I Was Dora Suarez is not actually narrated by the dead woman, but by the detective who "became" her while working on the case, if I remember correctly. I didn't get too far with that one because it threatened to get really gory. It may not actually be any worse than dozens of other novels I've read, but I didn't take the chance. Maybe one of these days. I really like Derek Raymond's other books.

*********** Paul Duncan (Noir Fiction), who I have a lot of respect for, loved the book. I thought it sucked. Flat dialogue, flat characters, flat plot. Not anywhere close to the quality of He Died With His Eyes Open. HDWHEO played the setting against the mood against the characters and it gave the novel depth and it came out well. Dora reeked of empty and trashy sensationalism.

miker

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Get to your groups with one click. Know instantly when new email arrives http://us.click.yahoo.com/.7bhrC/MGxNAA/yQLSAA/kqIolB/TM