RARA-AVIS: Re: Evan Hunter as Curt Cannon, et al.; Lowndes at Columbia: Moore

From: foxbrick ( foxbrick@yahoo.com)
Date: 25 May 2006

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Moore" <moorich2@...> wrote:

> I respect how Hunter managed to cobble together a living when he
was
> just another ex-GI scrambling for editors' attention.

Check out Earl Kemp's online pop-culture fanzine EI for some accounting of how Lombino/Hunter managed to keep body and soul together in that first decade or so: http://efanzines.com/EK/eI24/index.htm#jungle

The Scott Meredith Literary Agency, which was providing the contents of MANHUNT among many other publishing ventures, had lots of ways for both it and the writers it represented to make do or make out.

  Well below the
> payscale and respect of Manhunt were the pulp magazines edited by
> Robert Lowndes. Lowndes is renowned in science fiction circles for
> managing interesting issues on a very limited budget. The same is
> true of his pulps Famous Detective Stories and Smashing Detective
> Stories. Lowndes' top rate was 1 cent a word and the average was
> less. He still managed contributions from top writers.

Indeed, and his earlier cf magazines, too, though I think his cf magazines improved as both the market contracted a bit and he had more time and experience to bring to them, in the latter '50s at Columbia/Blue Ribbon. Edward Hoch is always keen to credit Lowndes for early interest in his work.

Thanks for tracing the slightly Marlowe-like development of Cannon!

Todd Mason

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> You can search right from your browser? It's easy and it's free. See how. http://us.click.yahoo.com/_7bhrC/NGxNAA/yQLSAA/kqIolB/TM