RARA-AVIS: Re: Families as hostages in bank jobs

From: Duane Spurlock ( duane1spur@yahoo.com)
Date: 24 May 2006

" DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net" DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net wrote:

<< I think I first read the plot where a bank manager's family is held hostage while one of the criminals takes the manager to open the bank's vault in one of Garry Disher's Wyatt novels. Since then, I've seen it in a number of TV shows -- Law & Order, one of the CSIs, 24, maybe even Nash Bridges.

So, my questions are:

When did this start showing up in books? Was Disher the first?

And does this happen in real life? I don't remember reading about it in the papers. Seems there's a lot of added exposure there.

Duane, you've written a book on bank jobs, real and fictional. Do you know?

I'm the other Duane, but . . .

When I was a kid growing up in a rural Kentucky farm community sittin on the state line, about an hour's drive north of Nashville, someone took hostage the manager (and his family) of a bank in a smaller community in the county. It happened at night, the bank was robbed, and the banker and his family killed. This was sometime in the 1960s or early 1970s.

A small press published a book about it, PEACH ORCHARD ROAD by Roger Futrell, in 1976. Don't know nothin' about it, though.

- Duane Spurlock www.pulprack.com

--------------------------------- How low will we go? Check out Yahoo! Messenger's low PC-to-Phone call rates.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> You can search right from your browser? It's easy and it's free. See how. http://us.click.yahoo.com/_7bhrC/NGxNAA/yQLSAA/kqIolB/TM