RARA-AVIS: Ed McBain's pseudonymous standalones...

From: R. & J. Clinton ( clinton65@comcast.net)
Date: 24 May 2006

After being very pleased with THE GUTTER AND THE GRAVE, a recent Hard Case reprint of an old Evan Hunter / Ed McBain novel written as "Curt Cannon," I've kept a sharp eye out for other standalones and came across a beatup reprint copy of BIG MAN (as "Richard Marsten") a few weeks ago. Finally had a chance to read it recently, and was nearly as enthralled by that one as GUTTER.

I've never been a big fan of police procedurals (or series in general), so have thus far avoided the 87th Precienct novels. But there's no denying McBain can write, and I'd love to read some more of these pseudonymous standalone novels. Can anyone point me in the right direction...looking for other names he may have used, any particularly outstanding works by each name, etc..

(On a related sidenote, it was interesting to see the word "muggles" used in 1959's BIG MAN as a slang term for marijuana (joints, to be specific)...some four decades before J.K. Rowling popularized it among children as meaning something else entirely)

Ron C.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> You can search right from your browser? It's easy and it's free. See how. http://us.click.yahoo.com/_7bhrC/NGxNAA/yQLSAA/kqIolB/TM