RARA-AVIS: Ballard on Stark

From: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net
Date: 20 May 2006

I'm currently reading Iain Sinclair's contribution to the BFI Modern Classics series on (David Cronenberg's) Crash. It contains a fair amount of interview material with JG Ballard, author of the novel upon which the film was based, much of it on Ballard's favorite films. Here's Ballard's comparison of Point Blank and the novel it's based on:

"I've always loved Hollywood thrillers. My idea of a perfect evening would be watching Point Blank. I actually bought the original of Point Blank, the book by . . . Richard Strick? Stark, yes. Richard Stark. The novel is just a pale shade of the film. So I've never really liked reading thrillers, but I love the films."

By the way, Sinclair was a friend of Derek Raymond's. In fact, he writes about Raymond's last reading in Lights Out for the Territory, his book about walking around London.

Mark

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> You can search right from your browser? It's easy and it's free. See how. http://us.click.yahoo.com/_7bhrC/NGxNAA/yQLSAA/kqIolB/TM