RARA-AVIS: Re: Charyn/Babel

From: Duane Spurlock ( duane1spur@yahoo.com)
Date: 19 May 2006

" DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net" DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net wrote:

<<

"But a real understanding of the tradition Charyn works in came to me after reading some of Isaac Babel's Odessa stories, particularly those about gangster Benya Krik."

Derek Raymond spoke very highly of Isaac Babel in his literary autobiography (as in it's much more about the literature that influenced him and his writing than about facts of his life) The Hidden Files. I've been meaning to read him. Where's a good place to start, the stories you mention above?

  Derek Raymond can't be wrong!

  I'd try the Benya Krik stories. I haven't read Red Cavalry yet, but from descriptions I've read, it sounds right up the hard-boiled alley.

  - Duane Spurlock
  www.pulprack.com

--------------------------------- New Yahoo! Messenger with Voice. Call regular phones from your PC and save big.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Everything you need is one click away.  Make Yahoo! your home page now. http://us.click.yahoo.com/AHchtC/4FxNAA/yQLSAA/kqIolB/TM