RARA-AVIS: Jerome Charyn - graphic novels - autobiography

From: E.Borgers ( webeurop@yahoo.fr)
Date: 19 May 2006

Enough information was given already here about Charyn's main novels. A good start. I would like to mention some other sides of his writer activities.

This rather atypical author has a prolific bibliography, and a part of it are scripts for graphic novels; lot of them originals, not based on existing material. This was an activity he started rather late in his career, and mainly when he moved to France (where he still lives I think. Most of these graphic novels were directly related to the noir domain, some to the "fantastic" vein but then still with a noir touch. Graphic artists were from France.

On the other hand, I recommend his autobiography (childhood and teenage) in 3 volumes. It is a kind of reinterpretation of his life in the Bronx, but masterfully told. A mix of realism and child day dreaming. In a review of part 3 : "Bronx Boy" (2002), I said that it was a work of "ingenuous noir", a dreamlike autobiography and a rerouted novel about the coming of age of a boy. IMO, that's what it really is. And it's about Jerome
"Baby" Charyn.

E.Borgers POLAR NOIR http://www.geocities.com/polarnoir

___________________________________________________________________________ Faites de Yahoo! votre page d'accueil sur le web pour retrouver directement vos services pr馩r鳠: v鲩fiez vos nouveaux mails, lancez vos recherches et suivez l'actualit頥n temps r饬. Rendez-vous sur http://fr.yahoo.com/set

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Home is just a click away.  Make Yahoo! your home page now. http://us.click.yahoo.com/DHchtC/3FxNAA/yQLSAA/kqIolB/TM