Re: RARA-AVIS: The Fifth Grave

From: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net
Date: 11 May 2006

Bill wrote:

"How heavily edited is THE FIFTH GRAVE? I read SOLOMON'S VINEYARD and thought it was great, though that was quite a while ago and I can't remember anything about it now."

After reading Chandler, Ross Macdonald and what little Hammett was in print in the mid-'70s (the novels and two short story collections), I found a used bookstore that specialized in mysteries, particularly hardboiled, X Marks the Spot in Silver Spring, MD. X, as the proprietor was known, turned me on to other vintage PI novelists, particularly John Evans, and sold me a few of the out of print Hammett short story collections, Dell mapbacks and Mercurys. He also sold me a copy of the Mercury edition of Fifth Grave. He warned me it was nothing compared to the original, Solomon's Vineyard, but that was pretty much impossible to find at the time.

Fifth Grave did nothing for me. It didn't even seem to make sense. I think some plot got cut along with the "smut" (not that smutty by today's standards). The couple of Latimer's Bill Cranes I read were better, but I still couldn't understand his huge rep. I finally got it when Foul Play Press reissued Solomon's Vineyard, though I can't remember much about it now, either.

I still have my copies of both. One of these days I should do a direct comparison.

Mark

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Home is just a click away.  Make Yahoo! your home page now. http://us.click.yahoo.com/DHchtC/3FxNAA/yQLSAA/kqIolB/TM