Re: RARA-AVIS: BUST appearances by Bruen and Starr

From: William Denton ( wtd@pobox.com)
Date: 08 May 2006

On 29 April 2006, crimeflix wrote:

> One obstacle we knew we'd have to overcome was to make sure the book
> didn't come off like two people wrote it. In our solo novels, Ken and I
> have very different styles, so we needed to get the voices to
> merge....so what we decided was I would bend my writing style toward the
> way Ken writes, and he'd try to write like me...So some scenes in the
> book may seem "very Bruen" but that doesn't mean Ken wrote them...

I just finished BUST and enjoyed it very much--congratulations on it, and I hope it does well. I'm trying to alternate non-fiction with fiction in my reading, but I had to violate the rule when BUST arrived. I was due for non-fiction but I couldn't pass up a Starr/Bruen combo.

The epigraphs were a kick, and I got some inside jokes like the "Maureen O'Hara is no Halle Berry" (Halle Berry being, as I understand it, Bruen's nickname for you because of the screenplay you wrote for her). And ... wait, don't you yourself get mentioned in the book? Good Lord, I should have written it down, because I was reading that bit this afternoon and I've already forgotten. Who's the writer who gave the Down Syndrome pin to Clinton? I did a quick search of the web but didn't find the name. Is it a true story? And Dillon--is he a character from another Bruen novel?

While I was reading I'd try to guess which was a Bruen section and which was a Starr section, but I was probably wrong about a lot of it. It was fun guessing, though, and it was certainly fun reading.

Bill

--
William Denton : Toronto, Canada : www.miskatonic.org : www.frbr.org

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Home is just a click away.  Make Yahoo! your home page now. http://us.click.yahoo.com/DHchtC/3FxNAA/yQLSAA/kqIolB/TM --------------------------------------------------------------------~->