RARA-AVIS: PI thanks and two movies

From: Michael Robison ( miker_zspider@yahoo.com)
Date: 07 May 2006

Thanks for the recommendations on PI novels 1960 through 1972. I raised the question because a recent PI criticism I read suggested that the quality of the PI genre went downhill during this period. I was skeptical and when I went through a list of hardboiled and noir I had read during this timeframe, I discovered that the PI had somewhat dropped out of the picture relative to earlier times.

I also wanted to mention a couple movies I've seen here recently. Ice Harvest is out on DVD now, and we watched it about a month ago. It was pretty damned good. It reminded me of Blood Simple.

Also saw the movie about Johnny Cash, Walk The Line. It was good, too, although it seemed sorta obsessively focused on June Carter. I figure that since it's based on Cash's autobiography, which surely has a little of the hardboiled and noir to it, that it might have a bearing on the list.

miker

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Get to your groups with one click. Know instantly when new email arrives http://us.click.yahoo.com/.7bhrC/MGxNAA/yQLSAA/kqIolB/TM