RARA-AVIS: I Was Dora Suarez

From: Michael Robison ( miker_zspider@yahoo.com)
Date: 27 Apr 2006

It's been a couple years since I read Raymond's He Died With His Eyes Open. I remember liking it. I've had Dora for quite a while, but I have generally been trying to read new (to me) authors.

I finally got around to Dora. I was disappointed. I couldn't dredge up any empathy. The plot was disingenuous and thin, with zero ironic twists found in most good noir. The dialogue was bad, too. Especially the page after page of the cops threatening and insulting the bad guys. Maudlin.

On the last page the detective states, "I felt nothing." Neither did I.

miker