Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Legal, but is it ethical?

From: Jeff Vorzimmer ( jvorzimmer@austin.rr.com)
Date: 24 Apr 2006

> You wrote: "I hope you're not ruling out books simply because they're
> in the public domain." Alas, we are: Part of our agreement with the
> company that produces and distributes our books is that we will not
> do any public domain books. The good news is that while it's true
> that there are tons of great PD books that deserve to be reprinted,
> there are also tons of great non-PD books that also deserve to be
> reprinted -- far more than we could ever get around to, even if our
> line were around for many years.

Well I hope you are around for years, Charles, and that you see greater profits as a result of turning on younger generations to a genre that might otherwise be forgotten. You and your partner are doing an excellent job, close to perfection. That's why we would like you to consider certain titles such as "Black Wings" because we know you'll do it justice, a nice clean copy with royalties going to the estate. We also appreciate the fact that you listen to your constituency.

How do you feel about offering free eBooks of works in the PD or low-cost eBooks with all proceeds going to the authors estate? Wow, that would get your more goodwill and publicity than you could ever buy. Giving things away for free or low-cost always drives traffic too. What about a bulletin board or a blog where you offer your loyal readers a chance to tell you what they would most like to see back in print?

As Always, Good Luck, Jeff