RARA-AVIS: Re: Legal, but is it ethical?

From: hardcasecrime ( editor@hardcasecrime.com)
Date: 24 Apr 2006

Jeff,

> That business model seems
> to automatically exclude
> works in the public domain

You're absolutely right: We don't publish any public domain titles. And I would be the last person the say that public domain titles shouldn't be published. This is one of the reasons that I have mixed feelings (rather than negative feelings) about what Blackmask.com does.

You wrote: "It is also unfortunate for the heirs of these writers, who I'm sure would rather have their deceased fathers or husbands or grandfathers remembered than receiving small checks from you every six months." Sadly, this is not universally true; I have met a number of heirs who have specifically chosen not to have their father's or grandfather's work reprinted because no one has offered to send them a sufficiently large check.

You wrote: "It seems as though you're doing a greater disservice to Mary Chaze by not giving 'Black Wings' a legitimate paperback reissue than Moynihan is with his POD reissue." I am not sure I see this -- by that argument you could say that we're doing a disservice to every author we don't choose to publish, and while I suppose that's true in some sense, I think it stretches the definition of "disservice" pretty much to the breaking point. Moynihan is doing Mary Chaze a service in one sense (helping to keep her husband's work and memory alive) and a disservice in another (reaping commercial gain from her husband's work without sharing that gain in any way). I am doing her neither a service nor a disservice; I'm doing nothing at all.

You wrote: "...wouldn't your reaction have been--A) She's made a deal with someone else or B) It's in the public domain and I don't want to have to compete with lots of other potential publishers." I knew (A) wasn't the case, since she had told me she hadn't made a deal with anyone else and she wasn't aware of the existence of a new edition. My reaction was closer to (B), except that I didn't think in terms of "lots" of other publishers, just one.

You wrote: "Are you telling us that you got to that point with Mary Chaze and it never came up that the copyright had lapsed? You still seem to be unsure about it." That is correct. It never came up that the copyright had lapsed; Mary Chaze certainly didn't appear to be aware that it had; and I am unsure whether it has. I don't say that because I suspect it hasn't -- I'm just saying that I don't know one way or the other. By default, the assumption should be that a work written and published in the 1950s is still under copyright. I imagine that Blackmask.com has done its research and believes the work to be in the public domain, and for all I know they're right. But it's also true that for all I know they're wrong. I am not competent to judge one way or another.

Purely as a thought experiment, though, consider this: If someone were ever to assert *incorrectly* that a given work had fallen into the public domain, I don't think most authors' estates would be in a position to analyze the question for themselves or hire attorneys to contest the matter. Maybe the big estates -- Chandler, Hammett -- could. But the Chaze estate? The Day Keene estate? Not very likely.

I am not in any way saying that that's what happened in this case. I am just saying that it *could* happen in some case. If it did happen, that would clearly be a bad thing.

You wrote: "I hope you're not ruling out books simply because they're in the public domain." Alas, we are: Part of our agreement with the company that produces and distributes our books is that we will not do any public domain books. The good news is that while it's true that there are tons of great PD books that deserve to be reprinted, there are also tons of great non-PD books that also deserve to be reprinted -- far more than we could ever get around to, even if our line were around for many years. So it's not as though we're passing up outstanding PD titles and reprinting second-rate non-PD ones.

You might ask: As long as we're only doing non-PD reprints, don't I think it's a good thing that someone else is doing PD titles? Yes, I do. I just have mixed feelings about doing it without any sharing of compensation with the author or his wife or children when their whereabouts are known. We're talking about immaterial amounts of money, I'm sure -- and it is absolutely legally correct not to pay an author (or seek his permission) for work that is in the public domain -- but I at least would feel better about the whole thing if publishers putting out PD editions of books by living authors or authors with living direct heirs (spouse or children) gave those heirs something. They don't have to; I can't even say they "should"; but it would make me feel better if they did.

--Charles

P.S. In the interest of full disclosure, I should note that some years ago I edited a few anthologies that included some PD short stories, and I never offered to pay the estates of those authors anything; fair enough in the case of Poe or Balzac, but isn't it possible that Jack London has a living descendant? Or Rudyard Kipling? How come I didn't lose sleep over that? It's a reasonable question. Part of it, I suppose, is that these authors have been dead longer; part of it may be that there's some difference between a short story of a few pages in a much longer book and a novel that is the work solely of one author; part of it is that I don't know the heirs of London and Kipling (if there are any) and do know the heirs of our authors. But I do not in any way mean to erect a halo over my head or doodle devil horns and a goatee on Moynihan's.

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Vorzimmer" <jvorzimmer@...> wrote:

> Charles,
>
> While your intentions seem to be noble, I think you're overlooking
some
> points and glossing over others. To turn a profit, any profit,
after only a
> year or so in a niche market such as this is fantastic. And in
order to do
> this you've admitted that you have had to select titles you think
will sell
> and with which you have exclusivity by contract. That business
model seems
> to automatically exclude works in the public domain, which is
unfortunate
> since there are a lot of works in the public domain that deserve
reprinting.
> It is also unfortunate for the heirs of these writers, who I'm sure
would
> rather have their deceased fathers or husbands or grandfathers
remembered
> than receiving small checks from you every six months.
>
> It seems as though you're doing a greater disservice to Mary Chaze
by not
> giving "Black Wings" a legitimate paperback reissue than Moynihan
is with
> his POD reissue. Your reasoning also sounds somewhat disingenuous.
If you
> were actually to the point of negotiating a deal with Mary Chaze
and you ran
> across the Blackmask edition, wouldn't your reaction have been--A)
She's
> made a deal with someone else or B) It's in the public domain and I
don't
> want to have to compete with lots of other potential publishers.
Are you
> telling us that you got to that point with Mary Chaze and it never
came up
> that the copyright had lapsed? You still seem to be unsure about it.
>
> Let me say, Charles, that you are underestimating your readership.
They are
> a large, but in some ways, a tightly-knit group, who are shopping
not only
> for certain writers, but also for certain publishers. You have
built up some
> brand loyalty and there are a lot of people who are introduced to
writers
> because you republished them. Given the choice, most readers on the
list,
> I'm sure, would buy your paperback of Black Wings, rather than the
Blackmask