RARA-AVIS: Re: Legal, but is it ethical?

From: George Tuttle ( noirfiction@whoever.com)
Date: 24 Apr 2006

I was lucky. I bought my copy of Black Wings Has My Angel in the mid-1980's from the Book Barn in Decatur, IL. This was back when the Book Barn was located in a refurbished barn. I later gave my copy to a gent from Chicago. He later called me and mentioned going on his honeymoon in San Francisco, visiting the Creative Arts offices (lucky bride), and giving the same copy to Barry Gifford. Later, Creative Arts/Black Lizard bought the rights to Black Wings, and then Random House bought Black Lizard. I assume the rights transferred over to Random House, but that Random House didn't see the book as having much profit potential. I think Random House was interested in the Jim Thompson titles and the idea of using the Black Lizard imprint as a way to market Hammett, Chandler, and other authors already in their backlist. I assume the option to publish lapsed which leads us up to where we are today.

There is a niche market for Black Wings. But is it a big enough niche for Hard Case? It wasn't a big enough niche for Random House and I assume they were given the book for free. In the past other publisher have kick around the idea of reprinting some of these old originals, Carroll and Graf reprinted Harry Whittington's You'll Die Next! I have always theorized that this was a failed test balloon, since no other titles followed.

Is it a big enough niche for Stark House? A combined edition of the books Black Wings Has My Angel and Wettermark would be great! Two great reads for the price of one.

What about Gryphon Books? They have recently reprinted Harry Whittington (One Got Away, Married To Murder, Satan's Widow, and Vengeful Sinner), They have also published William Campbell Gault's Man Alone which was written in the 1950's but couldn't find a publishers until Gryphon Books released it in 1995 (Cover art by Bruce Timm!, introduction by Bill Pronzini!). They also did a collection of Spillane shorts: Primal Spillane: Early Stories 1941-1942. Would you be interested in a Gryphon Books edition? Gary Lovisi has kicked the idea of publishing Black Wings in the past. You could visit their website (http://www.gryphonbooks.com ) and give Gary some encouragement. I would also be happy to forward e-mails to Gary, if you liked.

Take care, George the Librarian

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Vorzimmer" <jvorzimmer@...> wrote:

> Charles,
>
> While your intentions seem to be noble, I think you're overlooking some
> points and glossing over others. To turn a profit, any profit, after
only a
> year or so in a niche market such as this is fantastic. And in order
to do
> this you've admitted that you have had to select titles you think
will sell
> and with which you have exclusivity by contract. That business model
seems
> to automatically exclude works in the public domain, which is
unfortunate
> since there are a lot of works in the public domain that deserve
reprinting.
> It is also unfortunate for the heirs of these writers, who I'm sure
would
> rather have their deceased fathers or husbands or grandfathers
remembered
> than receiving small checks from you every six months.
>
> It seems as though you're doing a greater disservice to Mary Chaze
by not
> giving "Black Wings" a legitimate paperback reissue than Moynihan is
with
> his POD reissue. Your reasoning also sounds somewhat disingenuous.
If you
> were actually to the point of negotiating a deal with Mary Chaze and
you ran
> across the Blackmask edition, wouldn't your reaction have been--A) She's
> made a deal with someone else or B) It's in the public domain and I
don't
> want to have to compete with lots of other potential publishers. Are you
> telling us that you got to that point with Mary Chaze and it never
came up
> that the copyright had lapsed? You still seem to be unsure about it.
>
> Let me say, Charles, that you are underestimating your readership.
They are
> a large, but in some ways, a tightly-knit group, who are shopping
not only
> for certain writers, but also for certain publishers. You have built
up some
> brand loyalty and there are a lot of people who are introduced to
writers
> because you republished them. Given the choice, most readers on the
list,
> I'm sure, would buy your paperback of Black Wings, rather than the
Blackmask