RARA-AVIS: Re: Dantec

From: Duane Spurlock ( duane1spur@yahoo.com)
Date: 24 Apr 2006

"E.Borgers" < webeurop@yahoo.fr> wrote:

<< However, if you ask my opinion, Dantec became a schizophrenic writer during the last 5-6 years, and, you're right, Babylon Babies (1999 in French) is SF . Unless you are attracted by literary oddities, my friendly advice is to stay away from the book. Too long, too much, too paranoid... and finally not much left after reading it
-but it had its supporters. It's a pity because Dantec was a gifted writer, and his first novels are still worth to be read, but I do not think they were translated: "La sirène rouge" (The Red Mermaid), 1993 - "Les racines du mal" (The Roots of Evil), 1995. the second one was a big success; he already mixed genres: noir and a bit of cyberpunk SF, but it was balanced and interesting. Both were published by Série Noire.

In the post-EYE OF THE BEHOLDER novels by Marc Behm I've read, he does a bit of genre mixing as well.

Part noir, part dark fantasy.

Behm has lived in France for many years, and I wonder if this is just something he's picked up as part of the French popular literary milieu, or is there a "genre" of mixed-genre fiction that's popular in Europe?

- Duane Spurlock www.pulprack.com

--------------------------------- Talk is cheap. Use Yahoo! Messenger to make PC-to-Phone calls. Great rates starting at 1&cent;/min.