Re: RARA-AVIS: Dantec

From: E.Borgers ( webeurop@yahoo.fr)
Date: 21 Apr 2006

Mark,

Glad to learn that you enjoyed your trip into Gallic noir. As you point it, I could not extend the "good" list too much, by lack of English translations. However, if you ask my opinion, Dantec became a schizophrenic writer during the last 5-6 years, and, you're right, Babylon Babies (1999 in French) is SF . Unless you are attracted by literary oddities, my friendly advice is to stay away from the book. Too long, too much, too paranoid... and finally not much left after reading it
-but it had its supporters. It's a pity because Dantec was a gifted writer, and his first novels are still worth to be read, but I do not think they were translated: "La sir讥 rouge" (The Red Mermaid), 1993 - "Les racines du mal" (The Roots of Evil), 1995. the second one was a big success; he already mixed genres: noir and a bit of cyberpunk SF, but it was balanced and interesting. Both were published by S鲩e Noire. He did even much worst than Babylon Babies, in a kind of essay/preaching/political book in two volumes wherein he attacks everything and their opposite in a pompous "metaphysical " tone. Just forget those two books published by Gallimard in 2000 and 2001, 600 pages each... Then was "Villa Vortex "(2003): the receipt of the two essays applied to what Dantec calls a novel, written with a confusing babbling, often incomprehensible, and with no real structure. He lives in Quebec since 1999.

E.Borgers HARD-BOILED MYSTERIES http://www.geocities.com/Athens/6384 POLAR NOIR http://www.geocities.com/polarnoir DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net

___________________________________________________________________________ Faites de Yahoo! votre page d'accueil sur le web pour retrouver directement vos services pr馩r鳠: v鲩fiez vos nouveaux mails, lancez vos recherches et suivez l'actualit頥n temps r饬. Rendez-vous sur http://fr.yahoo.com/set