RARA-AVIS: A Dum-Dum for the President

From: Kevin Burton Smith ( kvnsmith@thrillingdetective.com)
Date: 20 Apr 2006

Bill passed on this info:

>> The Deadly Dames / A Dum-Dum for the President by Douglas Sanderson
>> 1933586060 -- $19.95 -- trade pb -- May
>> Two hardboiled detective thrillers set in Montreal. Dum-Dum has
> never before
>> been published in the U.S. and features Sanderson's only series
> character,
>> Mike Garfin.

Actually, they BOTH feature Garfin, although in THE DEADLY DAMES, originally done for Fawcett Gold Medal, they called him Bill Yates.

On it, Garfin's Quebecois heritage, as well as his name, is dropped, and a few details and minor characters are tweaked, but anyone who's read the other Garfin books (HOT FREEZE and BLONDES ARE MY TROUBLE) will instantly recognize the big lug. It's sorta like the Digger/ Trace thing Warren Murphy's guy went through.

At one point Stark House was even -- for a brief instance -- considering revising DEADLY DAMES, changing the character back to Gartfin, but those plans apparently fell through.

and yeah, I know -- A DUM-DUM FOR THE PRESIDENT sounds like something Al Franken would write, but it's not what you think. Still, the book actually does raise a few wide-ranging questions about international intrigue, political corruption, foreign interference in other country's affairs and the problem when zealots take over that still seem worth asking today. At least that's one of the points I try to make in the intro they asked me to write (plus the usual nonsense about what a great pulpy treat most of Sanderson's stuff was.)

The book should be out in time for Toronto's BLOODY WORDS. It would be a great topic for discussion, both timely and relevant geographically (because of its Montreal setting) either on a panel or in a bar somewhere...

Kevin Burton Smith The Thrilling Detective Web Site http://www.thrillingdetective.com