Re: RARA-AVIS: Postman, Cain & Catholicism

From: Michael Robison ( miker_zspider@yahoo.com)
Date: 19 Apr 2006

Frederick Zackel wrote:

Re-read Postman and notice ALL the religious metaphors, etc. Cain was a serious Roman Catholic slumming among the lowlifers, and his "critters" were obviously Original Sinners. He was pointing his finger at them. Look at those animals!! (Notice all the animal imagery, too.)

************* Of the animal imagery, the only recurring motif I recall is cats. Exactly what it was supposed to mean is not clear to me. I don't recall the religious metaphors. I have been thinking about rereading it, though. I read Double Indemnity while on vacation and was unimpressed.

miker