Re: RARA-AVIS: Noir is still the color

From: Sarah ( sarah@weinmans.com)
Date: 05 Apr 2006

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, William Denton <wtd@...> wrote:

> The article mentions Asa Nonami, Natsuo Kirino, and Miyuki
Miyabi--anyone
> know their books?

Miker's already posted about Kirino's OUT (which I thought was brilliant) but Miyabe might be arguably the best female Japanese crime writer, and she sells very well in her home country. Her most recent release here is CROSSFIRE, which is basically FIRESTARTER with a procedural aspect, and incredibly good. As is SHADOW FAMILY (which came out last year, but is technically a follow-up to CROSSFIRE) a short, nasty little tale about how cyberspace can be carried to extremes.

> T. Kent Morgan mentioned Waites in the fall of 2004:
>
> http://www.miskatonic.org/rara-avis/archives/200409/0210.html
>
> I think I made a note at the time to look for Waites (and the Red
Riding
> Quartet by David Peace) but then didn't track one down. What's the
best
> one of his to start with?

The one that's getting deserved attention, THE MERCY SEAT, kicks off a new series starring journalist Joe Donovan, so it's a great place to start. Otherwise, the Stephen Larkin books are excellent (begin with MARY'S PRAYER) and I have a real soft spot for Waites' larger-themed standalones, BORN UNDER PUNCHES and THE WHITE ROOM, which are less commercial and perhaps a bit unwieldy, grim as all hell but very emotionally effective.

He is truly one of my favorite crime writers right now.

Sarah