Re: RARA-AVIS: Noir is still the color

From: William Denton ( wtd@pobox.com)
Date: 04 Apr 2006

On 4 April 2006, Frederick Zackel wrote:

> "Why are Japanese women writing noir fiction, the preserve of mainly male
> writers?

The article mentions Asa Nonami, Natsuo Kirino, and Miyuki Miyabi--anyone know their books?

> "The most original neo-noir voices, however, are British. A rising star is
> Newcastle-based Martyn Waites, whose gritty, hard-hitting thrillers have
> been praised by Ian Rankin. The Mercy Seat, his sixth novel and the first to
> be published in the United States, heads Pegasus Books' debut list this
> spring.

T. Kent Morgan mentioned Waites in the fall of 2004:

    http://www.miskatonic.org/rara-avis/archives/200409/0210.html

I think I made a note at the time to look for Waites (and the Red Riding Quartet by David Peace) but then didn't track one down. What's the best one of his to start with?

Bill

--
William Denton : Toronto, Canada : www.miskatonic.org : www.frbr.org