RARA-AVIS: The Green Eagle Score

From: William Denton ( wtd@pobox.com)
Date: 03 Apr 2006

I read Donald E. Westlake/Richard Stark's THE GREEN EAGLE SCORE (1967) a few days ago. It's the one where Parker and a small crew pull a heist on a US Air Force base. As you'd expect, it all goes well for a while, but then there's a problem and some real trouble starts.

It follows the usual Parker format: first third close on Parker and the preparations, middle third widening out to show what all sorts of other people are doing, then final third close back in on Parker and the trouble. I forgot to write down a couple of relevant quotes, but one interesting thing about this Parker book is that there's a first-timer invoved, the inside man, and Parker recognizes him as someone who's going to do it full-time. He's got the right attitude and the right approach to money--namely, that he likes having it, and it's easier to steal it than work, and he'd like to steal a big chunk of it and then laze around for a while and worry about stealing more when he runs out.

Parker gets involved with first-time thieves in other books, but as I recall it usually goes pretty badly for them. Here there's a nascent professional and the other thieves see it. At the end Parker sends him to Handy McKay to get schooled in how to get by. Does Parker work with this guy again? I've already forgotten his name, but maybe some Parker expert will know.

Bill

--
William Denton : Toronto, Canada : www.miskatonic.org : www.frbr.org