RARA-AVIS: Re: Witness to Myself by Seymour Shubin

From: hardcasecrime ( editor@hardcasecrime.com)
Date: 03 Apr 2006

Thanks, Dave. I know publishers are always hyping their latest book as their best, but I have to say I'm particularly fond of this one. I didn't intend to read it in one sitting when it arrived in the mail from Seymour's agent, but I couldn't help myself -- that's the sort of hold it had on me. Of course, to be properly fair and balanced about it, I should note that PW didn't like it much at all...but what can I say, some people didn't like THE CONFESSION, too. (Actually, the people who didn't like THE CONFESSION will probably *really* not like this one; at least the narrator of THE CONFESSION confined his questionable conduct to adult women. On the other hand, the narrator of THE CONFESSION was wholly unrepentant while the narrator of WITNESS TO MYSELF is consumed with guilt. It'll be interesting to see whether that's the component that makes the difference in readers' eyes.)

Best, Charles

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Zeltserman" <davezelt@...> wrote:

> I just finished this latest Hardcase Crime novel, and it's terrific.
> Mr. Shubin has been writing classic noir novels, including anyone's
My
> Name and The Captain for close to 50 years now, and Witness to Myself
> is yet another brilliantt novel of Shubin's. The writing is
> masterfully done, and instead of explosions is more of a slow burn
> that gets under your skin as it follows the downward spiral of its
> doomed protagonist who may or may not have committed a horrendous
> crime when he was 15. This is pure noir, well worth the read.
Charles,