Re: RARA-AVIS: My B&N Raymond Chandler Course

From: hlerne@po-box.mcgill.ca
Date: 02 Apr 2006

Jim,

Thanks for being so understanding. I'm sure I will get a lot out of the course. I'm really looking forward to it.

I'm an archaeologist and my research deals with prehistoric stone tools and the kinds of rocks they're made from. Specifically I'm looking at how the kinds of stones used affected how the tools were used and how this changed over time. My work is based in northern New Mexico.

Thanks again for everything!

Cheers, Harry

Quoting jimdohertyjr < jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com>:

> Harry,
>
> Re your question below:
>
>> I forgot to ask if you will be 'handing out' any assignments. I
> doubt
>> if I will be able to complete such work according to the course
>> schedule.
>>
>> I hope this won't be a problem. Sorry for being such a nuisance!
>
> There are what "B&N University" call "Discovery Activities" at the
> end of each of the eight chapters, or "lessons." These are
> assignments along the lines of "choose who should play Marlowe in a
> modern film adaptation of a Chandler novel," or "create your own PI
> character using the Marlowe Paradigm." In other words, there for
> fun, not for grades. The course isn't graded, and there is no
> penalty for not completing the "activities." (Frankly, most
> enrollees don't).
>
> My sense is that quite a few enrollees simply "audit" the course
> without fully participating.
>
> I'm glad you've enrolled, and I hope you get something out of it.
>
> Best of luck with your dissertation. What's it on?
>
> JIM DOHERTY

> Yahoo! Groups Links

Harry Lerner PhD Candidate Department of Anthropology McGill University Montreal, Quebec Canada