RARA-AVIS: Fires of Youth by Charles Williams

From: George Tuttle ( noirfiction@whoever.com)
Date: 29 Mar 2006

Noir fiction readers will want to take Fires of Youth by Charles Williams off of their wish list. I found the following entry in the U.S. Copyright Office database: "Fires of youth. By Charles Williams, pseud. of James Lincoln Collier." The original copyright registration date is January 2, 1960. In the past, this novel has been attributed to Charles Williams, author of A Touch of Death and other crime novels.

Sidenote: it's my understanding this book was originally published in England under the title: Young and Sensitive, with the byline: Don Robson, and was Winner of the 1963 Arthur Koestler Award, an award given to stimulate creative activity among prisoners. The judges
(Henry Green, A.D. Peters, J.B. Priestley, V.S. Pritchett, and Philip Toynbee) wrote: "We believe that it will be recognized as a work of outstanding merit in its own right, independently of the special circumstances in which it was written." It was later reprinted in 1968, in England under the title: Fires of Youth, with the byline: James Lincoln Collier, with a foreword entitled: "About a Curious Case of Plagiarism."

Later, George the Librarian