RARA-AVIS: Re:Digest Number 594 (Gerry Boyle & Redneck Noir)

From: Patrick Bagley ( bagleyps@gwi.net)
Date: 26 Mar 2006

Kent,

I wouldn't normally include Gerry Boyle in a "redneck noir" listing, except for his novel Potshot. It has violent, pot-growing hicks. I may be a little biased because it is set in fictionalized versions of my small town
(Madison, ME) and the even smaller town across the Kennebec (Anson), and I know from experience this area is chock-full of rednecks. Hey, we're getting more urbanized, though...we still only have one traffic light, but now we have a Subway franchise.

I recently picked up Crumley's Bordersnakes and Hunter's Dirty White Boys, and will dig into them soon. Being a poor hick, I try to stick to used books when possible.

Funny, I said I was only going to lurk here, and now I can't shut up.

Patrick http://hillbilliesandhitmen.blogspot.com

----- Original Message ----- From: < rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com> To: < rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Sunday, March 26, 2006 9:53 AM Subject: RARA-AVIS: Digest Number 594

> Message: 3
> Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2006 12:55:48 -0600
> From: "T. Kent Morgan" < tkmorgan@shaw.ca>
> Subject: Tom Franklin
>
> I've got a copy of Franklin's book of short stories, Poachers, which
> from the title might fall under country noir. If I put them with the
several
> Woodrells that I haven't read along with Vicki H, Brad Smith and some
James
> Lee Burke and Crumley, I guess I have a collection of country noir.
However,