RARA-AVIS: Tom Franklin

From: T. Kent Morgan ( tkmorgan@shaw.ca)
Date: 25 Mar 2006

>Also: he gave Tom Franklin's Hell at the Breech, which could also be called
country noir, a great review in the Post Book World in 2003.

Spotted this book remaindered yesterday so may have to go back and pick up a copy. I've got a copy of Franklin's book of short stories, Poachers, which from the title might fall under country noir. If I put them with the several Woodrells that I haven't read along with Vicki H, Brad Smith and some James Lee Burke and Crumley, I guess I have a collection of country noir. However, I wouldn't put Gerry Boyle in that category.

While it isn't noir, the Peter Bowen series set in Montana featuring Metis fiddler and cattle inspector Gabriel Du Pre qualifies as country and is a favourite of mine.

Kent Morgan